Companies committing to buy better fish is important. But what are the next steps of engagement for next generation leaders?Read More ›
Job: Manager, SVX & Market Development
Job Title: Manager, SVX & Market Development
Company Name: MaRS Discovery District
Position Type: Contract
Location: ON – Metro Toronto
Application Deadline: 2012-03-15
Category: Project Management
MaRS works with partners to catalyze, accelerate and amplify innovation. We support entrepreneurs starting and growing global businesses. Together, we are building Canada’s knowledge economy. The MaRS Centre, a convergence innovation facility, is located in Toronto’s Discovery District. For more information, please visit www.marsdd.com.
ABOUT THE CENTRE FOR IMPACT INVESTING
Building upon the foundational work of the Canadian Task Force on Social Finance, which was supported by Social Innovation Generation (SiG) and MaRS, the Centre for Impact Investing is a national social finance hub dedicated to advancing impact investing in Canada. The MaRS Centre for Impact Investing will increase awareness, develop and share knowledge and expand the effective application of social finance, by catalyzing new partnerships, mobilizing new capital, attracting and developing talent, and stimulating innovation focused on tackling social and environmental problems in Canada. The Centre will support the growing, vibrant network of players active in social finance across Canada, and help connect Canadian partners to the active global community working in the field of impact investing in both developed and emerging markets. The Centre will be active in market and product development, as well as develop and deliver programs and services focused on research and policy, impact measurement, education and multi-sector engagement initiatives to mobilize private capital towards public good. The Centre will also deliver current MaRS programs such as the Social Venture Exchange (SVX), the Canadian B-Corp licensing hub, and SocialFinance.ca.
The SVX is a local, impact first market connecting impact ventures, funds, investors, and service providers in order to catalyze new debt and equity investment capital for local ventures that have demonstrable social and/or environmental impact, including nonprofits, co-operatives, and for-profit corporations. The SVX is an initiative of the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing in collaboration with TMX Group Inc., supported by Torys LLP and KPMG.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Manager, Market Development will responsible for co-managing the SVX initiative, with particular focus on venture and investor outreach and management, alongside providing strategic support to the market and product development pillar for the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing.
MaRS is searching for a candidate with the following attributes:
- excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- ability to work independently;
- experience in mainstream finance or impact investing;
- experience in investor relations and/or financial analysis;
- relevant combination of academic background and experience in finance;
- financial accreditation is not required but it is considered an asset (e.g. CFA, CSC, CA, etc.);
- strong commitment to principles of social, economic, and environmental justice;
- demonstrated interest or experience in working with impact ventures, from nonprofits to social purpose businesses;
- extraordinary interpersonal skills and exceptional collaboration attributes;
- entrepreneurial and creative;
- and an ability to work with stakeholders ranging from community organizations to corporate executives to high net worth individuals.
This position is based at the MaRS Centre in Toronto. There will be travel throughout Ontario, as well as to conferences and events in North America on occasion.
The Manager, Market Development is responsible for the following activities and deliverables:
- identifying and conducting outreach for potential ventures, investors, funds and investors;
- ensuring and maintaining regulatory compliance for the SVX and its customers;
- supporting effective due diligence by guiding ventures, funds, and investors through the SVX platform access process through conducting background research and providing a point of contact;
- providing support to ventures and funds to ensure they are pitch ready;
- coordinating matching amongst ventures, funds and investors through online brokering, in-person pitch sessions, and pitch webinars;
- organizing information webinars for ventures and investors;
- maintaining and managing a network of engaged impact investors;
- coordinating an Advisory Committee of experts in impact investing and mainstream capital markets;
- providing continuous feedback on the business model of the SVX;
- providing support to other market development activities, including market research and product development support;
- providing support to other activities of the Centre for Impact Investing (as needed);
- attending team meetings on a weekly basis;
- and other duties as assigned.
This is a three-month contract position with the potential for renewal into a full time permanent position. The Manager reports directly to the Director, MaRS Centre for Impact Investing and will be provided with strategic support by an Advisory Committee.
How To Apply:
Interested candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to email@example.com by March 15th, 2012. MaRS thanks all candidates; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If you have any questions about the position, please contact Adam Spence, Manager, Special Projects. Adam can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommended for you
Cheryl Dahle Founder, Future of Fish
Adam Spence Associate Director, MaRS Centre for Impact Investing / Founder, SVX
Mark January 24, 2012 in your calendar as the date when impact investing went mainstream in CanadaRead More ›Adam Spence Associate Director, MaRS Centre for Impact Investing / Founder, SVX
Melinda Jacobs Co-Founder, SURGE Taiwan
Some tips for employers and job seekers to find success in the social impact job marketRead More ›