Internship Opportunity at the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing
The MaRS Centre for Impact Investing (CII) is looking for a qualified individual to assist with various social finance programs from May to August 31, 2012. The candidate should have excellent written and verbal communication skills, a track record working in complex situations, a strong understanding of finance and/or public policy, and a demonstrated interest in the field of impact investing.
The CII intern will work full-time and regular hours out of the MaRS Discovery District building in Toronto, ON. The successful candidate will work across multiple programs at the CII, including our research and public policy, market and product development, and education and engagement initiatives. Specifically, the intern will lead administrative tasks as well as engage in strategic projects of the Centre, which include the creation of a knowledge platform for the Centre, SocialFinance.ca and the Social Finance Forum. The successful applicant will also support research activities to advance the work of the SVX, Social Impact Bonds, and the Canadian Task Force on Social Finance.
Up to sixteen weeks from May to August 2012
The successful candidate will receive an hourly stipend on a full-time basis for the duration of the internship, paid bi-weekly and subject to applicable payroll taxes.
- Support internal operations such as meeting scheduling and note-taking, CII performance monitoring and budget tracking;
- Support the development of an online resource for impact investing research and information;
- Support the development of a new impact investing fund(s) or products by assisting with business development, coordinating prospect meetings, and conducting market research;
- Provide support to development activities related to the Social Finance Forum and Social Impact Bond Incubator, including meeting coordination and research support;
- Pursue self-directed projects as so inspired that result in outstanding written, visual, or audio content; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- A strong understanding of finance and/or public policy;
- A personal and professional interest in the fields of social finance and public policy;
- Being detail-oriented and self-motivated;
- An openness to evolving responsibilities;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently and in teams; and
- Proficiency at multitasking and prioritizing time and workload.
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume by 5:00pm ET, Monday, April 23rd to the attention of:
Manager, Centre for Impact Investing
MaRS works closely with entrepreneurs to help them launch, grow and scale their ventures into market leaders. We provide education, advisory services, market intelligence and access to talent, customers and capital. MaRS works with companies in Life Sciences and Health Care, Information Technology, Communications and Entertainment, Cleantech, Advanced Materials and Engineering, and Social Purpose businesses.
About the CII
The Centre for Impact Investing is a core program of MaRS Discovery District and a leadership hub for impact investing in Canada established in 2011. Building from Social Innovation Generation’s (SiG) early social finance efforts and the work of the Canadian Task Force on Social Finance, the CII is focused on catalyzing new impact investing models, funds, and policy through targeted services and field building initiatives. Efforts to date include a platform connecting ventures and investors (SVX), a B Corp hub (the first outside the US), policy development with key members of the Task Force on Social Finance, and SocialFinance.ca as part of complementary educational and engagement activity.