If you missed our SF Connects on SRI (or just want to watch it again) check it out here!Read More ›
Social Finance Round Up: Growing the Social Investment Marketplace
Last Week on Socialfinance.ca
- Joyce Sou shared her insights about the striking similarities between co-ops and B-Corps in We’re a Co-operative – Why should we become a B Corp?
- Nabeel Ahmed introducing the latest additions to the editorial team in Welcome new talent on the socialfinance.ca team
- Ronald Alepian posted Creating shared value in capital markets, highlighting the significance of the recent collaboration between MaRs Centre for Impact Investing and TMX Group
- Jo Reynolds posted a video:Making Capital Count: Presentation on community investing by Jed Emerson.
Canadian and International News
- A report by the UK Cabinet Office, Growing the Social Investment Market: Progress update, highlights the progress made by the City of London in developing the social investment market, most significantly the launch of the first social investment institution of its kind in the world, Big Society Capital; the development of pioneering social impact and charity bonds; and the emergence of new investors in the space.
- The School for Social Entrepreneurs Ontario opened in Regent Park, and the Toronto Star profiled the program and the launch.
- The WWF unveiled a new investment model to recover marine ecosystems, and says the most likely candidate for a groundbreaking pilot would be Canada´s Grand Banks of Newfoundland. Read the Raising the Sunken Billions report.
- TMX and MaRS Centre for Impact Investing announced their partnership to drive impact investing in Canada.
- The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation plan to up their game in finding treatments for infectious diseases affecting the world’s poor by increasing equity stakes in several fledgling biotech outfits working on vaccines and other treatments. Read more on this recent development here.
- Social Ventures Australia will manage an $8.35M Social Impact Fund, as a partner in the federal government’s SEDIF program. The fund will invest in social enterprises that provide opportunities to marginalised populations; it has already approved the first $300,000 loan to North Yarra Community Health.
- Jonathan Jenkins, chief executive of Social Investment Business said the lender wants to broaden its definition of a social venture and range of potential investees to include profit-distributing organizations.
Social Finance Learning and Best Practices
- The GIIN published a number of impact investments profiles, written from investors’ perspective, which illustrate the diverse ways that investment capital can generate positive social, environmental and financial impact.
- Felix Oldenburg of Ashoka, Germany talks about the importance of turning the social finance solar system into an interconnected financial ecosystem. In his view focus needs to quickly shift from fundraising to fund pitching and investors should have a wide spectrum of funds to choose from to balance their own risk and return.
- Cheryl Dorsey, president of Echoing Green, was named as one of the Social Venture Network’s Hall of Fame Impact Award Winners as a Visionary Social Entrepreneur, recognizing her pioneering work in the field of social entrepreneurship. For more than 25 years, Echoing Green has been an active source of seed funding for over 500 social enterprises that look at their businesses as a means to promote global good.
- RSF Finance presents in this article Equal Access International, an innovative non-profit organization using media and community-building to overcome critical challenges affecting millions of underserved people in the developing world. EA combines the power and broad reach of innovative media with direct community mobilization to provide people with life changing information and education inspiring them to overcome obstacles and improve their lives.
- In Impact Investment Catalyzes What? Why? Lauren Burnhill gives an alternative view on allocating and structuring the support of impact investors so that it may be channeled toward creating sustainable economic opportunity rather than invention and innovation.
- Village Capital partners provides a reading list of important whitepapers and reports by major thought leaders and consulting firms on the importance, and the development of the impact investing sector.
- The Guardian (UK) posted responses from industry leaders who participated in a live Q&A last week to answer the critical question: What exactly do social entrepreneurs need to start up? The session helped point out which skills, resources and personal qualities are needed when starting up a successful social enterprise.
- The Centre for Social Innovation is looking for a communications intern in Toronto
- Social Finance UK is seeking an associate to join the entrepreneurial team on a full time basis
- The GIIN is looking for a Communications Associate in New York, NY
- The Nonprofit Finance Fund is seeking a Senior Loan Officer in San Fransisco, CA
- RSF Social Finance is looking for a Credit & Portfolio Management Associate in San Francisco, CA
- Partnering for Global Impact takes place July 9 and 10 in Lugano, Switzerland. Follow the action on twitter #pgi12
- The Centre for Economic and Social Inclusion in the UK invites social enterprise leaders to take part in: Building a better economy: Non profits and social enterprise as job creators, July 10 in Birmingham
- The inaugural Social Venture Pitching Day, hosted by Business Angel Network Southeast Asia (BANSEA) and NUS Enterprise, will be held on July 27 in Singapore
- The Finger Lakes Social Entrepreneurship Institute kicks off Sept 13-15, 2012 at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY
- Ashoka’s annual Youth Venture Summit takes place July 26-29 in Washington, DC