Last year was a big one globally for outcomes finance, with 12 new projects launched in 2015. The model was applied in new areas, such as healthcare and higher education, and strong results came from the U.K. and Australia. With such a fast moving field, it’s crucial we take time to reflect on how we […]Read More ›
A Fall of Events at the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing
It seems fall is the season for social finance! We at the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing would like to draw your attention to some fantastic events happening this month. We hope you will join us!
SIPC Webinar: Overview of the Canadian Marketplace and the SVX
On October 9, attend a webinar with Adam Spence, “Impact Investing: An Overview of the Canadian Marketplace and the SVX“. This webinar is presented by the Sustainable Investment Professional Certification (SIPC) at Concordia University.
When: Tuesday, October 9th, 12-12:45pm EDT
Where: Online webinar
Register right away!
Microfinance and Movie Night
On October 10, SocialFinance.ca, SEE Change Magazine and the Schulich Nonprofit Management Association present a free movie screening of Holly Mosher’s film, Bonsai People: The Vision of Muhammad Yunus. The film will be followed by a panel discussion on the role of microfinance in addressing social challenges at home and abroad.
- Sally Wilkie, Loan Coordinator, Rise Asset Development
- Nandy Heule, Director of Investor Relations, Oikocredit Canada Central
- Susan Henry, Manager, Corporate Social Responsibility, Alterna Savings
- Allison Langille, Director of Operations, Ennovent
- Ann Lockhart, Program Manager, ACCESS Community Capital Fund
When: Wednesday, October 10 at 6:30 pm
Where: Patagonia Toronto, 500 King St. West, Toronto
Register now before tickets run out!
Follow the Money: A Forum on Public Banking
On October 15, City Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing and the Colombia Institute bring you ‘Follow the Money: A Forum on Public Banking’. This is an exciting opportunity to hear from advocates, academics, and public policy leaders on the kinds of innovations available to governments that want to create sustainable, affordable investments in their communities.
- Marc Armstrong, Executive Director of the Public Banking Institute
- Ellen Russell, Professor of Journalism at Wilfred Laurier and public banking expert
- Victoria Grant, the 12 year old who gave a speech in Philadelphia on public banking
When: Monday October 15 from 9:00am-12:00pm
Where: City Hall, in Committee Room 2.
Reverse Innovation: The Application of Impact Investing in the Domestic Context
On October 16, the Rotman School of Management, TORONTO+acumen, Rise Asset Development and the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing will co-host an evening discussion on “Reverse Innovation – The Application of Impact Investing in the Domestic Context“. Come hear from renowned leaders about the future of impact investing in Canada and globally.
- Gord Nixon, CEO of Royal Bank, who earlier this year announced the creation of RBC’s $10M impact investment fund.
- Brian Trelstad, Investment Committee member and former Chief Investment Officer of Acumen Fund, a non-profit global venture fund. Brian is now focusing on the development of a U.S. fund.
- Bill Young, founder and CEO of Social Capital Partners, and trailblazer in the Canadian social finance sector.
When: Tuesday, October 16 at 5:30 pm–7:00 pm
Where: Event Hall (2nd floor, South Building) | Rotman School of Management, U of Toronto, 105 St George Street Toronto, ON M5S 3E6
Register now before tickets run out!
Social Finance Connects
Don’t forget to join us Thursday, October 18 at 12:00pm EST for this month’s Social Finance Connects, as we get ready for the 2012 Social Finance Forum: Measuring Up. Our guest speakers will include Joyce Sou, Manager, B Corporation and Social Impact Metrics from the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing and some of our soon to be announced workshop speakers. We’ll be taking your questions and giving you the inside scoop on what to expect at the 2012 Social Finance Forum.
RSVP: Tristina Sinopoli at email@example.com
Webinar Login Details: Visit https://mdd.adobeconnect.com/socialfinanceconnects and enter as a guest. Please allow Adobe Connect a moment to configure.
Call in toll-free (North America): 1-866-261-6767; participant code 915097#.
Last but not least, don’t forget to register today for the Social Finance Forum, Nov. 8 & 9 at the MaRS Discovery District!