A snapshot of Canadian social venture Lucky Iron Fish in advance of the Skoll World ForumRead More ›
Learning Manager Posting: School for Social Entrepreneurs – Ontario
SSE-O is seeking applications for their Learning Manager role!
School for Social Entrepreneurs-Ontario, a project of Tides Canada Initiatives, contributes to transformational social change by providing action-based and practical learning for social entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs in Canada. Based on a highly successful model from the UK, the School helps people from all walks of life to launch a non-profit organization, cooperative, ethical business, or social venture that benefits their community.
SSE-O’s non-traditional and unique educational model places the emphasis on students as self-directed learners. By nurturing community-based social entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs, SSE-O supports the exploration of new ideas and innovative approaches to the evolving and complex challenges faced by local communities.
Generously funded by the Ontario Trillium Foundation as a three-year pilot program, SSE-O opened its doors in September 2012 to students in Toronto. For more information, please visit www.sseontario.org.
The Learning Manager (LM) is a 2-day per week role that will join the Learning Team to help develop high-quality learning programs for social entrepreneurs that support their personal development as leaders of change and enable them to develop practical projects with social benefits. Working closely with the Director of Learning, the LM is responsible for managing the Social Entrepreneur Fellowship (SEF), a six-month intensive program, alongside the Director of Learning.
This is a key organizational position offering an opportunity to innovate and design cutting-edge curricula, contribute to long-term organizational strategy and interact with students in a non-traditional classroom setting. Some travel within the province may be required. SSE-O is a project of Tides Canada Initiatives Society (TCI) and the selected candidate will become an employee of TCI. For more information, please go to tidescanada.org/projects.
Hours: Part-time: 2 days (15hrs) per week. 9-month term.
Start Date: Immediately (Ideally by March 1st)
Location: 585 Dundas St. E., Toronto – 3rd floor in the Centre for Social Innovation in Regent Park
Salary: Competitive, commensurate with experience, plus paid vacation time
Application Deadline: Friday, January 24, 2014
Key Responsibility Areas
- Work alongside the Director of Learning to recruit fellows as well as volunteers, including interviewing candidates, contributing to publicizing SSE-O’s programs and undertaking outreach to ensure a diverse SSE-O community
- Design modules and classroom plans alongside the Director of Learning
- Design enjoyable experiential learning sessions, including working with external partners and implementing appropriate feedback and evaluation methods
- Support a subcomponent of the students’ learning journey (e.g. business skills, leadership skills, or social impact skills), including designing and implementing the classroom sessions, connecting with external partners and designing student performance metrics for delivery of the program
- Create a fun, vibrant and exceptionally supportive learning environment, facilitating learning sessions with a diverse cohort of social entrepreneurs
- Support student progress on projects and their ongoing personal development; provide one-on-one coaching to students
- Work closely with volunteers, consultants, mentors and experts to shape and support their involvement in the program
- Other duties as assigned
- A proven track record of designing and delivering enjoyable and effective group learning and support programs and producing demonstrable outcomes
- Experience with, and training in, action learning an asset
- Experience developing a socially or environmentally beneficial project, organization or business in the areas of community development, economic development or social entrepreneurship preferred
- Experience working successfully with diverse communities and people
Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge and understanding of adult learning models, particularly experiential and self-directed approaches to learning
- Excellent relationship-building and communication skills
- A demonstrable ability to foster effective teamwork and coordinated pursuit of a goal
- An ability to work with people and networks in business, the public sector, and the community sector
- A strong background in, and understanding of, social change, social movements, business and/or entrepreneurship including developing business models, marketing, and commercialization
- Enjoys learning, education and individual development
- Aptitude for program design and innovation
- Enthusiasm and ability to learn quickly about a range of subjects relevant to social entrepreneurship (e.g. action learning, systems thinking, human-centered design, play-based learning, organizational development, leadership development, business planning, fundraising, etc.)
- Self-directed, with good time management skills and the ability to work flexible hours
- Demonstrates a passion for social justice and economic inclusion
- Is a dedicated, goal-oriented finisher
- Has an ability to work independently and in a team environment
How to Apply
By Fri, Jan, 24, please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Learning Manager Application
In your cover letter, please include responses to the following questions:
- How did you hear about this position?
- What interests you most about this position?
- Based on our requirements, why are you a strong candidate?
- What type of experience and skills will you bring to SSE-O’s students? Specifically highlight if you have experience with social justice, business and/or leadership training and education.
As the School for Social Entrepreneurs – Ontario is a Project of Tides Canada Initiatives Society (TCI), the selected candidate will be an employee of TCI.
The SSE-O is committed to reflecting the diversity of our student group within our staff team and encourages applicants from a wide range of backgrounds.
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in the position, however, only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
We will accept applications until the position is filled. No recruiters please.