Your friendly neighbourhood impact investing market just got bigger.Read More ›
Job Posting: Neighbourhood Economic Development Officer, Old East Village BIA
Old East Village BIA is now hiring a Neighbourhood Economic Development Officer!
Neighbourhood Economic Development Officer
Old East Village BIA Manager and through the Manger, to the Old East Village BIA Board of Directors
The BIA Manager and Old East Village Development Corporation Advisory Group
Full-Time, One Yr Contract Position
Old East Village BIA Office, Old East Village, London, Ontario
Apply to email@example.com
Closing Date: July 25, 2014
Phone or e-mail inquiries will not be accepted.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Neighbourhood Economic Development Officer is responsible for supporting the launch and resourcing of a Neighbourhood Economic Development Corporation in London Ontario’s Old East Village.
The creation of the Old East Village Neighbourhood Economic Development Corporation is a partnership initiative between the Old East Village BIA, the London Community Foundation and the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing.
ABOUT LONDON OLD EAST VILLAGE BIA:
The Old East Village Business improvement Area (BIA) is a local board of the municipality of the City of London consisting of local merchants, business and property owners and agency representatives. Its mandate is to beautify, improve, and promote the Old East Village commercial district. The scope of the Old East Village BIA’s practice has evolved beyond the traditional mandate of a BIA. It is the lead organization for the implementation of a multi faceted Community Improvement Plan in the Old East Village commercial corridor. Currently, the BIA and its partners are completing research to identify strategies and build partnerships for initiatives that will foster a diverse and resilient local economy. The research has identified strategies to facilitate this goal including the creation of a Neighbourhood Economic Development Corporation (NEDC) and a Neighbourhood Economic Development Plan (NEDP). The Neighbourhood Economic Development Officer will assist with the establishment of a development corporation fund, business plan and the implementation of economic development strategies. These strategies will support our unique one-of-a-kind businesses including strengthening and growing the Old East Village Food and Culture Districts.
1. Launch of the Old East Village Development Corporation.
Assist with the following activities:
- Create and execute an operating plan for the establishment of the NEDC.
- Create policies and procedures for the functioning of the NEDC.
- Create a Business Plan for the NEDC including a financing strategy and pitch presentation materials.
- Create and support a Loan Fund Committee.
- Support the NEDC Advisory Group.
- Assist with the development and monitoring of evaluation criteria for NEDC initiatives.
2. Develop and Implement a Revenue and Resource Generation Plan.
The Plan’s goals will include stimulation of new investment, resource development and business development in identified sectors. The Neighbourhood Economic Development Officer will undertake research and activities for identified initiatives including:
- Create a draft Revenue and Resource Generation Plan.
- Identify capital development program opportunities.
- Identify private and public sector funding opportunities in identified growth sectors.
- Identify and create linkages to resource and funding networks including potential investors.
- Identify and create linkages to other resource networks for specific initiatives.
- Prepare requests for funding, technical or other resource support.
- Assist with the development of promotional materials for the final Revenue and Resource Generation Plan.
- Assist with the development and monitoring of budgets and finance plans.
3. Other Activities
- Support and attend regular review meetings with partners.
- Prepare update reports for the BIA Board, Development Corporation Advisory Group, partners, funders and donors.
- Assist with the organization of community meetings, and promotional events.
- Assist with the development and updating of a Community Economic Development web site page.
- Through all activities identify opportunities for neighbourhood job creation, and skills enhancement.
- Participate in other activities to support the functioning of the BIA office.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience working in Development Corporations and with Community Loan Funds.
- Experience in financing enterprises and capital raising.
- Proven track record of fund development and fundraising.
- Experience supporting small businesses and community economic development groups.
- Knowledge and experience of alternative business models.
- Experience writing funding requests and budget preparation and monitoring.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, interpersonal skills, presentation skills, facilitation and negotiation skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects from conception to completion within prescribed timelines.
- Ability to work independently and within an interdisciplinary team.
- Excellent computer, website, social media skills.
A combination of education and experience in community financing models and community economic development will be considered an asset.
Recommended for you
Tristina Sinopoli Associate, MaRS Centre for Impact Investing
Gina Leslie Manager: Entrepreneurship & Innovation Series, MaRS Discovery District
How do social enterprises leverage social impact in investor meetings, the Canadian brand internationally, and resources around them during the hard days?Read More ›Gina Leslie Manager: Entrepreneurship & Innovation Series, MaRS Discovery District
David Venn Communications Manager, Community Foundations of Canada
Partners from every sector exploring community knowledge as a tool for social changeRead More ›David Venn Communications Manager, Community Foundations of Canada