Recipients Generate Millions in Market Revenue While Serving Social Needs Created by the Trico Charitable Foundation in 2011, the biennial Social EnterPrize celebrates Canadian social enterprises that demonstrate best practices, impact and innovation. Social enterprises are organizations, for-profit or not-for-profit, that blend financial success and social impact by using markets to solve social problems. The […]Read More ›
Fellowship Opportunity: Alterna Impact
Alterna is seeking applicants to its Business Development Fellowship Program!
Do you have…
a degree in Finance, Economics or Business?
2-3 years experience in a start-up, multinational corporation, consultancy or similar?
the desire to make a lasting difference using your business skills?
an interest in working in Guatemala?
If so, Alterna has a unique opportunity for you
At Alterna we’re looking for bright and talented people to join our Business Development Fellowship Program. With the skills you bring, and a can-do attitude, it’s a unique chance for you to support the growth of social entrepreneurs across Central America – and to contribute to an innovative and sustainable solution to economic development. Previous Alterna fellows have completed the program as global citizens, well prepared to take on business work across the world’s different cultural settings.
What would you be doing?
Alterna’s Business Development Fellowship Program is for professionals with business skills eager to take on a new challenge in the field of social entrepreneurship and business management where it matters most.
A fellowship can last anything from six months to one year. It’s the type of hands-on experience that will allow you to generate a lasting, sustainable impact, while all the time developing your professional business skills – and learning with, and from, other Alterna fellows and Alterna’s senior leaders.
The work you’ll be doing will be varied and challenging. For example, you could be:
- Helping the social entrepreneurs that Alterna works with to create high-quality business plans focusing on social and environmental impact.
- Supporting entrepreneurs to achieve and assess their business goals and impacts.
- Developing Alterna’s strategy – building the program and integrating Alterna into the social entrepreneurship ecosystem.
- Using your financial expertise to support our entrepreneurs with cost and data analyses and financial forecasts.
- Designing marketing and sales plans tailored to the needs of concrete local SMEs.
- Improving the logistics of our enterprise partners (the social ventures Alterna has set up directly).
What skills and qualifications do you need?
- A degree, ideally an MBA or Masters, in Business, Economics or Finance
- Professional working proficiency in English & Spanish
- Strong analytical, business judgment and problem-solving skills
- Financially savvy
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of, and passion for, social entrepreneurship and impact investing.
The following would be great, but not essential:
- A solid professional trajectory, ideally in a multinational, consultancy or leading NGO
- Familiarity in working with entrepreneurs and/or social enterprises
- Experience in working in or with a developing country.
Supporting social SMEs in the field is not obvious. We´re looking for resourceful, flexible and creative individuals. You’ll also need to enjoy working on your own and as part of the team, be proactive, be passionate about making a difference – and have a sense of humour!
Business Specialization Areas:
Sales and Marketing, Finance and accounting, logistics.
Agro-industry, fair trade, retail, clean tech, micro finance, organic produce.
Alterna is based in Guatemala’s beautiful highland city of Quetzaltenango, a few hours from Guatemala City. From our base here we have three complementary pillars of work:
We cultivate entrepreneurship across Guatemala’s under-served communities – identifying small businesses creating social and environmental value and providing them with hands-on mentorship to help them grow.
We create and launch high-impact social ventures – to serve as examples of sustainable business models that can provide solutions to critical local needs.
We bridge the support gap between local entrepreneurs and the resources that can accelerate their impact – leveraging partnerships with the private, public and academic sectors.
For more about us and what we do, have a look at our website: www.alternaimpact.org.
How do you apply?
Each year we welcome a group of fellows with different skills to our Quetzaltenango office. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and we can work with you to find a suitable start and end date.
To apply, please send us your CV and a cover letter including how you heard about Alterna, when you would be able to start, and how much time you would be able to dedicate. Send these to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to receiving your application!